Wednesday, November 19, 2008

things I have gotten used to, and some things I haven't

Things I have gotten used to:
-" How old is your son?" (come on people, she is a GIRL)
- people telling me how hard it is to get their 2 year olds to string 3 words together. (Ella doesn't even talk at all)
- women at the playground exclaiming how big Ella must be for her age. (because they assume that, since she isn't talking or running, and needs a lot of help climbing on things that she must be a lot younger than she is)

I really have gotten used to this stuff. It doesn't annoy me at all anymore. Actually, this is a really funny story. The one woman who was talking about how hard she was working with her son (who was only 1 week younger than Ella) on stringing 3 words together, I ran into her a few days later at a different playground. We had been talking about using sign language with our children, and so she knew that Ella hasn't started talking yet. So, when we ran into each other again, she apologized to me for being insensitive and complaining about her son when my daughter was so much "worse off" (her words, not mine). I found myself comforting her and assuring her that we all have work to do with our children and that it doesn't really matter what level they are on, it is still work.

What I haven't gotten used to :
"What is wrong with her?"

Do you blame me for not liking that one?
How about I use this as a response: "What is wrong with you?"

No comments: