Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Recommended Reading

One of my dream jobs has always been to write book or movie reviews.

Not something I see happening anytime soon.

On the advice of a friend, I started keeping a book journal a few years ago. Each January I flip to a new page and title it with the year. Then, each time I finish another book, I write down the title and author. Sometimes I also make other notes if, for example I am listing a book that I am rereading, or I have listened to a book on tape. Looking back at the journal gives me a sense of accomplishment. In an average year I read about 20 books.

Since I am probably never going to write a published book review, and because I know that everyone sometimes need suggestions for good books to read I am going to list my 3 favorites from this past year of reading. I hope that you find them usefull.

1. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
This has to be one of my all time favorites. It is spiritually relevant, deeply moving, and very funny. A woman travels to Italy, India, and Bali on a spiritual quest. Non-fiction

2. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
This one has been popular for awhile, so I am slow to catch on. It is a retelling of the Wizard of Oz from the viewpoint of the Wicked Witch of the West. Rich characters and an engaging plot. Fiction

3. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
This one was recently made into a movie directed by Sean Penn, but I haven't seen it. The book is great, though. It is the true story of a young man who wanted to remove himself from the trappings of society and learn how to live off the land. Krakauer is one of my favorite non fiction writers. I have also read his account of the tragedy on Mt. Everest called Into Thin Air and his amazing explination of the world of funamendalist Mormons called Under the Banner of Heaven.

No comments: